Skip Navigation

About Us

Parish History

The church of Sts. Peter and Paul in Scott was established as an independent parish in 1904. Before this time, beginning about 1897, the area was a mission of St. John the Evangelist parish in Lafayette. The first church was built in 1897.

Mass was offered once a month with Fathers J. R. Bollard and E. Forge as missionaries.

Archbishop J. B. Blenk, after becoming the Archbishop of New Orleans, sent a resident pastor to Scott. He was Father B. G. Durand who came in January 1904 and remained until March 1906. He built the first rectory in Scott.
A native of France, Father Durand was ordained in 1892, and entered the Archdiocese of New Orleans in April 1898. He died in November 1919 in St. Patrick’s hospital in Lake Charles and is buried in Scott. The money to build the first church was realized from yearly bazaars. Land in the southern part of the town was donated by the devout parishioner and kind benefactor of the parish, Mrs. Alcide Judice.

Although there was no Confraternity of Christian Doctrine as such, there were many good and zealous women who gave generously of their time and effort so that the children could learn to know, love and serve God. They were called “Maitressses de Catechise” (Catechism teachers) and at that time instructions were given in French.

The first Baptism in 1904, with Father Durand officiating, was Roberta Anne Begnaud, daughter of Judge Felix Begnaud and Eliza Morton. The first marriage, witnessed by Father Durand, was that of Edgar Arceneaux and Azema Caille, on January 12, 1904. The first funeral was that three-month old Alcee Guillot on January 21, 1904.

What is probably the oldest parish organization, the Cemetery Society, was organized during the pastorate of Father Durand with Basile Sonnier, first president. The first choir was organized by Father Durand with Miss Amelia Breaux, first organist.

Father Joseph V. Monteillard was appointed pastor in August 1919. He built the second church, completed in 1928 and also gave the impressive gate to the parish cemetery. The Ladies’ Altar Society was organized in 1919 with Mrs. L. A. Prejean, first president. The Holy Name Society was organized in 1921 with Sebastian Hernandez as first president.

Father Lawrence M. Fournet, seventh pastor, built the present church and school of religion and parish hall. Today, in that school an increasing number of students receive religious instructions under the able direction of Earleen Wirtz, and Laurice Dubuc (with Elsie Smith, valuable assistant).

The religious education building is in continual use not only by the CCD Elementary and High School Students and their youth organizations SKOT (Scott Kids of Today), and SYG (Scott Youth Group) – but also by the parishioners who make up the organizations of the Catholic Daughters of America, Holy Name Society, and the Pro-Life Committee.

In addition to our Saturday and Sunday Masses of Celebration, our parish prayer life continues during the weekdays by recitation of the rosary in the chapel, the Wednesday Morning Prayer Meeting and other spiritual formation opportunities.

Other groups, such as AA meet weekly.

Volunteer ministries include lectors, altar servers,music, and more.

Since those early days as a Mission of the Cathedral, Sts. Peter and Paul has grown steadily until it numbers over 2800 families

May the hand of God continue to bless our community and our church.


Father B. J. Durand 1904-1906
Father J. M. Detchemendy 1906-1919
Father August Baudizzonne 1919
Father Joseph V. Monteillard 1919-1929
Father Alexander Charles 1929-1936
Father Marcel Gaudet 1936-1940
Father S. Bona 1940
Father A. L. Soulier 1940-1949
Father Lawrence M. Fournet 1949-1968
Father Daniel L. Bernard 1968-1974
Father Daniel Schexnayder 1974
Father James R. Broussard 1974-1975
Father Stanley Begnaud 1975-1976
Father Michael Guidry and Father Gary Schexnayder 1976-1978
Father Michael Guidry and Father Michael Des Jardins 1978-1983
Father Harold Trahan 1983-1984
Father Frederick Swenson 1984-1997
Father Gilbert J. Dutel 1997-2009
Father Thomas Voorhies 2009-2015
Msgr. Curtis Mallet 2015-2016
Father Mark Derise 2016-Present